Friday, December 20, 2013

Time Out




Over the weekend Solomon and I had a great time.

I don’t mention my partner Solomon very often in my blog posts which he’s forever grateful.  But I have to just this once because of my business insight.      

On Saturday night we attended his company Christmas party.  I always look forward to these holiday parties because they’re well planned and filled with light energy and laughter. 

This party was extra special primarily because of the venue.  Sitting in the Hill Country, less than an hour’s drive from Austin, the gathering was held at Horseshoe Bay Resort Hotel; a beautiful facility, overlooking Lake LBJ and surrounded by manicured gardens.  His company gifted us with our weekend stay.   

Solomon and I had a great time and extended that great time by traveling on Sunday into the little towns and hamlets in the Texas Hill Country.    

As we strolled the streets, taking pictures of holiday tinsel and twinkling lights and visiting the little shops all adorned for the holidays, an answer to a business question simply popped into my head. I wasn't consciously thinking about business, but there it was, the perfect solution that would move my new business plan forward.   

So bright and early this morning I was back at my computer in the afterglow of my “feel-good” weekend.  It was then it occurred to me that some of my best business solutions have come during these periods of rest and relaxation. 

In truth, the entire business plan I’m currently implementing came while Solomon (there’s that name again!) and I visited another Texas town on a screaming-hot Sunday looking for treasures at a gigantic outdoor collectibles market.   

As entrepreneurs there never seems to be enough hours in the day.  Our to-do list is overflowing.  We’re organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling like crazy.     

I’ve always been so passionate about my work that it doesn’t feel much like work.  So because of that those around me have at times needed to pull me, kicking and screaming, away from my purpose. 

But this morning after my fabulous weekend I remember the power of rest and relaxation.  There is a time when I must turn the computer off. 

In those times what seems to turn on is a renewal of my creativity, imagination and inventiveness.          


  

No comments:

Post a Comment