Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Seth Godin


Who am I to go up against a heavy-hitter like Seth Godin?? 

I’m the girl who just starting blogging about a year ago.  I try and write a post about once a week, but most of the time it’s about every two weeks.  

But then who’s counting. . . I'm certain my readership doesn’t keep Seth up at night. 

Don’t get me wrong Seth Godin is a marketing god.  His content is fabulous, his books are classics, he’s a great public speaker and he’s held in high regard by just about everyone; including me.     

However Seth keeps the bar set high for all of us.   So high in fact that coming close to the bar is damn near impossible, while actually clearing the bar and feeling any sense of victory is something I’ll probably never see in this lifetime, according to Seth. 

Let’s just look at a couple of lines from a few of his blog postings:
·         Just about all commercial behavior is banal. Even in movies that deal with business people, the characters don't dream nearly big enough about one's ability to change the culture or the enterprise.”
·         “Remarkable doesn't mean remarkable to you. It means remarkable to me. Am I going to make a remark about it? If not, then you're average, and average is for losers.”
·         The world is changing faster than ever and people aren’t adapting fast enough.”

I made this post all about Seth but he’s not alone in this, "yesterday-is-dead, content-is-king, good-is-not-good-enough world."  Everyone seems to have their own version of mastery.  And “master” we must.  Anything short of that is a half-effort that results in little or no reward, recognition or sense of accomplishment.    

In my humble entrepreneurial opinion, I say, give me a break.  Most entrepreneurs I know are some of the hardest working people on the planet.   I truly believe in giving your best plus 10% but I ask;  is it alright if I feel some sort of victory before the goalpost is moved. . .again?        

Vince Lombardi said (and I realize he died in the 70’s – which may as well be a million years ago)

“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whatever we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”

Is it just me or is that way of thinking pretty much dead? 





No comments:

Post a Comment