Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Secret to Turning Your Resolutions into Reality





My 2013 approach to resolutions was fairly elaborate.

Instead of spending the holidays in Austin, I’d traveled to Michigan preparing to stay in my home state for the entire month of Dec.into the first week of Jan.  

It was probably because I had read every book I’d brought along.  And certainly after a month of celebratory eating and drinking I had finally found my capacity and had lost interest in exceeding it.

So to fill up my New Year’s Day I devised a game creating 2013 resolutions and invited those in the room to play with me.   

I made up the rules to the game as we went along.  Everyone had a notepad and pen.  And I gave an extemporaneous speech to my little audience about setting intention for the New Year. 

After preparing our individual lists we went around the table and shared our 2013 desires.  We made a pact we’d check in via Skype at the end of every quarter just to make certain we were not losing our way. 

By second quarter 2013 I had indeed lost my way, along with my list. If someone had asked me to recite those resolutions that were so important just a few months ago I would have been hard-pressed to recall even half the list.

Fast forward to December 2013

A friend on my Facebook feed mentioned a 30-day fitness challenge.  She was in the last few days of her challenge and boasted she was now able to hold a plank for almost 4 minutes. 

Well I thought this was fairly impressive and decided to do my own 30-day challenge, starting the first day of December.  It’s not so important to this post what I decided to focus on but the effectiveness of the focus.   

And I’m proud to report within the 30 days (well technically it’s been 23 days) I've never strayed from the goal, never lost sight of the desired outcome and every day I happily perform rituals to reinforce the new behavior. 

I actually can’t believe how well it’s worked. Not only did I get what I wanted, it came with a bonus.  I am decidedly happier and lighter of spirit.  I've gifted myself with a new way of being.          

Summary

So what’s the difference (at least for me) between New Year’s resolutions (that don't work) and time-sensitive challenges (that do?) On the surface they sort of seem the same; at least they’re made up of similar components. 

However I think the way I do resolution lists sets the path for failure.  The list is too long, too nebulous, too hazy and too wishful thinking-ish.  It’s not a plan list, it’s a wish list. 

On the other hand my 30-day challenge is clear of purpose, specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. 

OMG it’s a SMART goal! 

The key then to making it happen is to forget the long list and wasted time on New Year’s Day.   Instead target one specific want, need or desire and create a measurable plan around it.  No need to make it elaborate, just clear.  In just a little time your implemented plan will reap a big payoff.    

So my 2014 wish for you and your family (besides good health and happiness!) is the ability to remember that so many of our answers are already within us.  We just have to stay quiet enough to hear them.

Happy 2014!       

    

                


No comments:

Post a Comment