Thursday, October 3, 2013

Why Business Plans Don't Work

The easiest way to make a business plan work is by working a business plan. 

That sounds simple. 

Until we remember that the fastest way to guarantee a diet will work is by working the diet.  The easiest way to write a book is to write a book.  And the easiest way to get in physical shape is by getting in physical shape.

All this makes us remember we don't do that execution part so well.

It seems that when the excitement around growing a business (or losing weight, or writing a book) starts to wane, discipline needs to kick in.

And that’s usually the kicker.   

I've been in the business of writing business plans for a couple of years now.  About 6 to 8 months ago I noticed a disturbing trend. 

My clients would be excited as I handed over the tightly-bound body of work, along with the thumb drive, containing their strategy for growth and profitability.  They were impressed with the sheer size of the finished document and realized that all of our meetings matched to all of my research and creativity had coalesced into this personal, particular strategy. 

But my guess is that as they read the plan they realized that I’d not handed them magic.  Success was not going to manifest by clicking their heels three times.    

On the contrary, with plan in place it was now time to roll up their sleeves and start the real work of growing a business.

And it’s at this point they meet with frustration.

Because the hardest part of any journey is the first step.  

I personally think it is part self-discipline and part prioritizing that fuels the inertia. Also many of the business plans I write are for clients that have busy businesses already and are looking to expand that  business – time may be an issue as well.      

So I came up with an idea.  I now add a separate document to every business plan I write and deliver to my clients.  I call it an Implementation Timeline.   

This implementation tool is the step-by-step blueprint that executes the plan and turns those financial projections into real cash. 

It’s very much like giving your day structure by creating a prioritized “to-do” list; an implementation tool will give you daily direction. 

Not sure how to create your implementation tool?

Try starting with your marketing objectives.  Your marketing objectives represent your success path. So when the objectives are satisfied through a step-by-step plan it’s reasonable to assume you have manifested your projected revenue. 

Ask yourself a series of questions to start creating the tool.  What do I need to do (every single step.)  When do I need to do it?  Who needs to help me? What resources do I need?  Etcetera 

Creating an implementation tool is arduous work.  But if you take the time to create the tool and the discipline to work the tool you're rewarded with success.


And, after all, wasn't success the whole point of writing the business plan?        

No comments:

Post a Comment