Tuesday, October 8, 2013

HONESTY



Say you're at a small dinner party.  You introduce yourself to your dinner companion.   She tells you she’s a doctor. 

As you chat each other up you're developing an overpowering urge to ask a personal medical question.  Before the chocolate tart is served you’re describing the itchy rash on your left arm, or if the humming in your right ear deserves medical attention.     

I’m no doctor but that scenario pretty much describes my life as a lifelong entrepreneur and micro business consultant. By the time I've graciously accepted the extra scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on my tart my dinner companion is talking about small business issues or an entrepreneurial idea. 

Not a problem; it’s a conversation I love having.  But because I have it so often I’ve for certain noticed patterns.

For instance; one is about money.  Usually it’s money versus social mission or social consciousness. 

Take last weekend. 

While listening to voicemail I hear the sweet voice of one of my really good girlfriends.  Apparently she’s had some fabulous “light bulb” of an idea and she’s simply bursting to share it with me. 

I can tell by her energy she’s not wanting “friend Penny” to return this call.  Instead, she’s dying to talk to Penny; the small business consultant.   

I return her call. She shares her idea.  As it’s explained the idea sounds totally mission-driven.  Basically it’s an idea that works to bring solution to difficulties and hardships within a population. 

So I start discussing for-profit versus nonprofit organizations.  I’m having conversation around using surplus revenue to achieve social goals rather than focusing on distributing profitability.                

I’m knee-deep in that conversation when I hear verbal bits and pieces coming from her that start sounding much more like dollar desire rather than the initial conversation focused on a people-helping-people program.

I have this conversation a lot. 

And I hate to admit it but it’s usually from women. 

For some reason we're still hesitant to admit we're as profit-driven as the next person.  And even when we are interested in assisting those in need, we want compensation for our effort. 

And the sad reality is that until we're able to own it (our money love,) we won’t be able to create it.     

Want to know the easiest way to resolve the profit/nonprofit problem and move forward on your business planning?   

Ask yourself a simple set of questions. 

If you received no financial compensation would you still do the work? 

Which comes first on a priority list; COMPENSATION or CAUSE? 

Let’s say there’s a nonprofit that already exists in your area of interest.  Could you simply volunteer your time?  Or would you still need your startup?     

If you never made a penny from your effort, would the idea still be exciting for you?    

   



No comments:

Post a Comment