Monday, March 18, 2013

Predictability


Indeed sometimes it’s nice to live in a predictable world.

Including the world we create with our business.  We want to know our products provide a consistent experience, that our employees are dependable, our vendors punctual, and our anticipated profits probable. 

Where predictability is not so valued is when a business strategy is obviously obsolete and needs to be replaced with fresh, new ideas.  No strategy is effective forever.  At some point your business is going to need an injection.  Creativity, not predictability, needs to fill the syringe. 

I've seen it a million times.  When we’re faced with a problem we look for the easy solution.  Problems make us uncomfortable, even agitated.  We want to solve it, get rid of it and move on. 

But not so fast – is the first solution the best solution?  If it’s the safest, most logical, most predictable then you can bet it won’t solve the problem for long.  Look to the creative, the inspired, the remarkable, the memorable the outrageous, the courageous. 

There’s a simple game I play when I need to develop new strategies/new solutions that works every time.  I first identify the problem, getting really clear.  Then I mastermind at least ten solutions.  As I make my list, the first couple of ideas are rather predictable.  It’s as I continue that things get interesting.  Try it – it’s simple but it works.      

Now what would be predictable here would be for me to suggest you read anything by Seth Godin to get your creative mind engaged.  So I won’t do that. 

Instead I think I’ll go with The Artist Way by Julia Cameron.    


  

No comments:

Post a Comment