Monday, March 11, 2013

Clarity



Have you ever had a conversation that feels really weird but you can’t figure out why it’s weird?? 

I talk with entrepreneurs constantly; I mean I’m an entrepreneurial tutor.  In one way or another I've been doing it for years. Occasionally I’ll be engaged in a conversation that can really furrow my brow and leave me confused and a bit exhausted. 

Just a few days ago I figured it out –I had a real “light bulb” moment.

There I was talking with a client that produces delicious donuts.  In our meeting she mentioned something that struck me as odd and unconnected. 

She told me how important total freedom was to her. Setting when she worked, how she worked, and what she did, all needed to be dictated by her personal clock.  She said she loved the total freedom that comes with being an entrepreneur.

But shortly after this free-spirited declaration she wanted to discuss her next step with regards to production needs.  Should she consider coming out of her home kitchen and opening a manufacturing facility versus using an existing processor (aka: copacker) for her production.          

And on we went this way; zigzagging between living a life deliciously on her own terms and then just as easily and eagerly wanting to discuss increased capacity, increased overhead, increased capital needs.    





With my head titled to the side and my eyes wide in disbelief I had my “aha” moment. 

There is a definite difference between “doing your own thing” (that “total freedom” thing) and building a business. 

If doing your own thing appeals to you my advice is to keep the activity small and personal. On the other hand developing a business is a totally different conversation with a totally different strategy.

Which do you want?  The choice is yours.

Because the good news is happiness, success and profitability can be created using either model.  What doesn't seem to work is attempting to combine the models.

So it’s really rather simple; you just have to decide what you want. 


No comments:

Post a Comment