Monday, June 17, 2013

How I Lost 10 Pounds WITHOUT counting calories

Complicated best describes my lifelong relationship to sugar. 

As a kid, against my mother’s strict order not to take candy to church, I defiantly filled my tiny kid-purse to the brim with jelly beans one Easter Sunday.  As she sat in the pew, clapping her hands in praise,  my spirit was lifted higher and higher too as I consumed mouthfuls of the super sweet candy.

As a teenager I may have complained about cafeteria meatloaf but I still remember my love of the cinnamon rolls studded with dark raisins and the tart cherry goodie sweetened with brown sugar. 

And as an adult woman with the full responsibility of marriage and twins I continued my relationship with the sweet stuff always finding time for circus peanuts, spicy gum drops and buttery caramel corn. 

Needless to say this lifelong sugar journey has a dark, shadow side.  The dentist loves me.  Often times my stomach hates me.  And I forever need to lose ten pounds. 

The strategy I usually employ to reduce my body weight has me counting something. Calories.  Points.  Carbs.  Fat Grams.  
  
A tremendous amount of counting.  Usually this lasts for about a month or so and I take off the extra pounds.  

Of course you know the rest of this story; in another month or two following all of this obsessive counting I've put back on most of the ten pounds and I start again. 

A New Approach

So about six months ago I had a conversation with my sister that focused on the newly padded Penny (in other words I had my ten pounds back) and I mentioned to her it was time to start counting.   

She’s younger (but obviously wiser than I) and suggested that maybe it was time for a new strategy. 

Her suggestion was to forgot the incessant counting and simply reduce my sugar intake.  A kind of non-diet diet. 

 Six months later I’m not only twelve pounds lighter I seem to have made peace with my sugar obsession.  

New strategy.  New outcome. 

So I ask you, what do you want and how will you get it?  If you've used the same strategy more than once or your implementation process has been used repeatedly and you're not winning then perhaps it’s time to make some changes. 

If you think the strategy may be flawed then change it.  If it’s around implementation take a look at a few key pieces:
·        Are you clear as to who in your organization is responsible for executing key strategic components? 
·         Is the plan too big? Is the plan “fluffy?”  Is the timeline realistic?
·         Is everyone on the same page?  Are you communicating?  Is there consensus?
·         Is the strategic implementation on “project status?”  Said another way is everyone involved accountable and fired up to deliver their part of the plan.      

Be bold and make a change.  Find a strategy or implement one that works for your business. 

Find the courage to win.           
         

No comments:

Post a Comment