Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mind Tools


“One of the fastest ways to come face-to-face with your personal issues, weaknesses and overall character flaws is to open a small business.”  Or at least that’s what my friend Wilbert says.  I couldn’t agree more.

So for every business book or blog I read, I spend an equal amount of time (or more) on me.  I’m always diving deep looking for the values and beliefs that shape my behavior and direct my activity. 

This leads me to my friend and transformational coach Evelyn Talmadge, who I think is a genius.  With a great sense of humor and unbelievable insight she performs her work with what appears to be intuition and incredible listening skills.  Evelyn makes it seem easy.  However I’m her friend so I know the many hours she spends in instructional classes, workshops and seminars perfecting her craft and integrating innovative concepts that lead to permanent transformation.




Just recently I had three almost back-to-back sessions with Evelyn at her cozy Goalsmiths office.  I requested the sessions because I’d recognized a pattern that created barriers in my business and personal life.

My pattern looked something like this.  I’d have either a brilliant new business idea or something that could alter my personal life.  Excited, creative and focused I’d take this fabulous idea, develop a plan and start the work necessary to make it materialize. 

But somewhere along the way I’d become aware of an inner voice, dripping with caution warning me I was becoming “overly excited” and that it would be smart to “slow down.”  The voice would seem so logical, so authoritative that I would be mindful of and heed the warning.   

Accordingly, my activity would become tentative and perfectionistic.  My initial excitement would be replaced with doubt, leading to the simplest tasks taking forever.  Forward momentum would be lost or delayed, stalling the project.   

Combining my desire for change with Evelyn’s technology I was able to understand my destructive pattern, the probable origin, the long held belief that was holding it in place and my curious cycle of crazy distraction. 

I’m now about a week since my last session and I’m happy to report I've made an almost seamless slide into behavior that better supports me and moves me gently in my desired direction. 

Moral of the story. . .
Being a small business owner is not easy (I know - HUGE understatement!)  One of the best ways to make business easier and (interestingly enough) more profitable is to study both business basics and at the same time deepen your understanding of your fears, faults, motives and moods.  

You and your business will benefit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment