Friday, November 16, 2012


When Clarity meets Focus

Tony Robbins talks (repeatedly) about being “in state” and the rituals that support getting there.  The whole purpose of course around being “in state” is to create the mindset that supports the work that’s needed for you to create your desired outcome. 

Just recently my friend sent me a Tony Robbins link that made me think of my own ritualistic habits that create an energetic state of mind for the work ahead. 

Thinking of the work ahead brought up the importance of staying really clear with regards to what I want to create and what I want to convey.  That’s the bull’s-eye for me; remembering what I want to create today, tomorrow; five years from today or tomorrow.          


Which brings me to Made to Stick written by Chip Heath and his brother Dan. Published about five years ago it remains one of my favorite business books because its discussions and theories are fresh, creative, logical and useful. 

The brother discuss a  concept that has helped me save time, money and continues to keep me on target when my mind strays into that dangerous territory of monkey mind.   

If you have the book I urge you to reread Chapter 1 and then integrate it into your life.  If you don’t have the book here’s a quick summary.  It’s all about a notion called Commander’s Intent (CI).

According to the authors, Commander’s Intent is a military term that is a “crisp, plain-talk statement.”  You arrive at this intent by asking yourself two simple, but focused questions:

If we do nothing else during tomorrow’s mission, we must _____________________.

The single most important thing that we must do tomorrow is _____________________. 

It’s all about taking the time to find the essential kernel of your idea to communicate the message and make it memorable. 

But for me it’s even more powerful.  When I’m that clear of purpose, when I live my Commander’s Intent, when I’m not acting from any extraneous voices, I deliver and continue to make quick progress toward growing my business to increased profitability while maintaining flexibility and fun.                 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment