Monday, October 22, 2012


Welcome to Margin

On a rainy Monday morning over cups of hot cocoa I recently had the pleasure of meeting with Karen Ranus, Director of Volunteer Services and Community Outreach at Saint Louise House in Austin. 

Saint LouiseHouse helps single mothers and their children overcome homelessness by providing a stable environment and supportive services. 


One comment Karen made truly struck me. She said that when we picture homelessness we picture single men.  It’s because we see them time and again on the street; Men holding “I will work for food” signs. 

But in truth this is not the largest population of homelessness in Austin (the US?)  As it turns out the largest population of homelessness is single women with children.  These are the ones without a warm place to sleep every night. 

What my conversation at Saint Louise House had me ponder was perception.   

Just like men seem to be the face of homelessness, extremely successful entrepreneurs seem to be the face of small business.

Online, in magazines and books, on television, while networking or listening to a keynote address we’re introduced to these crazy successful entrepreneurs.  And often times they’ve created this success in a very short period of time. 

I’ve been in small business for over 20 years first owning bakeries (which I sold in 2005) and then this consultancy.  In between I counseled entrepreneurs through a local non-profit for close to 7 years.  

My experience seems to match the current statistical information – and that picture is that small business still fails at a very high rate or underperforms projected revenue.       

I started this consultancy because I wanted to make a difference in this picture – especially for sole proprietors and small LLC’s.   I want the perception to become the reality.   I want to make it less stressful and more fun by making the business more dependable and more profitable. I want to expand its capacity for greater contribution.

 I’ve seen the problems.  I’ve lived the problems of small business.  And I know the solutions.   

My mission to make it easier is called MARGIN.      

No comments:

Post a Comment